Hello Prevention Supporters,
Your action is need to keep vital prevention money in place to continue the fight against youth substance abuse. Please contact Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison to thank her for being a sponsor of the original STOP Act funding. Share with her the importance of reauthorizing STOP Act funding for another five years. Texans Standing Tall is a recipient of this funding that is so vital to our state's and nation's prevention efforts and we need your help!
SENATOR KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON'S CONTACT INFORMATION:
284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510-4304
Jenifer Healy is Sen. Hutchison's staff member focused on health policy. You may ask to speak with her or email her (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to express specific concerns about the need and value of this funding. You will find related talking points below.
Attached is the House version of the bill. Here are some general talking points:
• Underage drinking is a major problem
• The Community Based Coalition Enhancement Grant program contained in the STOP Act is one of the only prevention programs specifically designed to reduce underage drinking at the local level that goes directly to communities.
• This program has been extremely successful.
• Grantees are implementing a variety of science-based strategies to prevent and reduce underage drinking in their communities.
• There is tremendous demand for this program. In fact, 266 applications were submitted for the 23 grants that were available in FY 2009.
• Texas currently has one STOP Act grant from CSAP.
• Because grants are awarded to current and former DFC grantees, it means that an additional 50 coalitions are eligible to apply for STOP Act funds.
• The STOP Act reauthorization was just introduced in the House last week, extending the authorization for another five years and increasing the authorization for community grants from $5 million to $ 9 million (using an unused underage drinking authorization to SAMHSA as the offset, this is not additional spending).
• Sen Hutchison was an early co-sponsor of the original STOP Act, which is making a difference in Texas. This would be a terrific addition to her legacy as a Senator.
• Senator Dodd is currently working on the companion bill in the Senate and would like to introduce as soon as possible.
• Please ask the Senator to sign on to co-sponsor the STOP Act Reauthorization so that more coalitions in TX have the tools they need to effectively prevent and reduce underage drinking.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Please let us know if you contact her office. If you send an email or fax, please forward us a copy as well.
Public Policy Liaison
Making alcohol, tobacco and other drugs irrelevant in the lives of youth through healthier and safer communities.
Texans Standing Tall
2211 South IH-35, Suite 201
Austin, Texas 78741